“Nurture” is a word commonly associated with women. Isn’t it funny that both “nurture” and “nutrition” come from the same Latin word, nutrire? You might think that nurturing our bodies is easier for women. The fact is, thanks to menopause and its effect on our bodies, our nutrition needs change over time, and women have quite a few distinct nutrient needs that differ from the men in our lives. It may not always be easy, but nourishing our bodies as we age is more than possible.
Estrogen and Its Effect on Women’s Bodies
We tend to think of menopause as the time in which we can no longer bear children. Estrogen, sometimes known as the female hormone, is what kicks off the reproductive cycle. When levels of estrogen circulating throughout the body drop – as it does during menopause – we lose the ability to become pregnant. But estrogen is important for other body functions, too including bone health, skin health and brain function.
With less circulating estrogen protecting our body after menopause, it’s important to focus on balanced lifestyle habits, including getting enough vitamins and minerals from foods and drinks to help keep us vibrant.
Key Vitamins and Minerals for Women Over 50
When it comes to vitamins and minerals for women to focus on, especially for women over the age of 50, these top the list:
- Calcium helps support strong bones. Women over age 50 need 1,200 mg of calcium per day. (Adult men up to age 70 need only 1,000 mg per day).
- Vitamin D is also important for bone health. More than 90% of Americans, of all ages, are not getting the recommended 600 IU (15 mcg) of vitamin D per day. After age 70, both women and men need 800 IU (20 mcg) per day.
- Vitamin B6 plays a number of important roles including supporting energy metabolism and normal red blood cell formation. Women over the age of 50 need 1.5 mg per day.
- Vitamin B12 is essential for healthy cells and energy metabolism. As we age, we have a harder time absorbing vitamin B12 and getting the 2.4 micrograms we need each day.
- Magnesium is a mineral that supports muscle function and heart health. Women need 320 mg per day.
- Vitamin E acts as a powerful antioxidant and is also important for immune support. A daily goal is 15 mg of vitamin E.
- Potassium is a mineral that helps supports heart health. Most people, including older adults, are not getting enough of this nutrient. Adult women need 2,600 mg of potassium per day.
- Choline is an often-overlooked vitamin that’s important for proper liver function. Adult women need 425 mg per day.
In addition to vitamins & minerals, protein is an essential nutrient for everyday muscle health. Determine your estimated daily protein needs with this protein calculator tool.
If Your Diet Needs a BOOST® Drink
Even overall balanced diets may need a little extra nutrition. BOOST® nutritional supplement drinks provide high-quality protein plus up to 27 essential vitamins and minerals. BOOST® has a comprehensive line of products, including one drink that’s tailored to the specific nutritional needs of women:
- BOOST® WOMEN Balanced Nutritional Drinks provide tailored nutrition for women with 15 g high-quality protein, 180 nutrient-rich calories plus 24 vitamins and minerals, including:
- Calcium and vitamin D to support strong bones
- Biotin and zinc to support skin and hair health
- Iodine and selenium to help support normal thyroid function
Talk to your doctor or dietitian about which BOOST® products may be right for you.