Our Website and Information Collected Online
- our parent company, Nestlé SA (e.g., nestle.com);
- our domestic and international affiliates (e.g., Nestlé Canada);
- joint ventures such as Beverage Partners Worldwide (e.g., nestea.com);
- other U.S. subsidiaries of Nestlé SA such as Dreyer's Ice Cream and Nestlé Waters North America (e.g., nestle-waters.com);
- unaffiliated online stores that sell Nestlé products and to which we link (e.g., mybrandsinc.com and rei.com); and,
- Nestlé HCN that are directed to businesses (e.g., vend-nesquik.com and nestlefoodservices.com).
Special Note to Non-U.S. Visitors
What types of information do we collect?
- Registration or sign-up on a Nestlé HCN Website ("general website registration");
- Sign up for a newsletter that is specific to an event, product, or website and that is not included under general website registration;
- Sweepstakes, contests, or other promotions;
- Surveys and polls;
- Message boards and other interactive activities;
- Purchasing a Nestlé product through one of our online stores;
- E-cards, tell-a-friend, or other one-time use features;
- Feedback, questions, or comments through one of our Contact or "Ask the Expert" forms;
- Information submitted in a business capacity (e.g., resumes, media requests, etc.);
- Information collected through our Nutritional Sites;
- Signing up a friend to participate in product-specific campaigns; or,
- Any other request that requires the submission of personal information (e.g., Consumer Panel, Product Request, "Where to Buy," etc.)
Note: depending on the Nestlé HCN site that you are visiting, some or many of the activities listed above may not be available.
The types and amount of information collected for the features listed above will vary depending on the activity. The requested personal information may include: first and last name, email address, home address (including city and state), telephone number (work or home), and (for those purchasing products online) credit card information. For some activities, you may be asked to create a username and/or password and/or to provide additional, demographic information, including: (i) your age or date of birth, (ii) gender, (iii) frequency of use, purchase, and consumption of certain Nestlé products and/or other similar products, (iv) facts about your household or lifestyle, and/or, (v) other information relevant to the Nestlé product you've purchased or the specific Site which you are visiting (for example, if you are registering on verybestbaby.com or verybestkids.com, you may be asked to provide information about the children in your household, including their names, genders, and birthdates).
If demographic information is collected for an activity that also requires personal information, we may combine the demographic information with your personal information. Combining data allows us to customize the notices we send you and the content we provide you according to your interests and preferences. For more on how we use your information, please read the section on use below.
How do we use the information we collect?
When registering or providing information on our Sites, you may also be given the option (through a check box or otherwise) to have your information used for an activity or service different from the primary activity or service that you are requesting. For example, if you are signing up for a contest or other promotion, you may also be able to sign up for newsletters or alerts from the Site hosting the promotion or from other Nestlé HCN Sites or products. If you choose to receive these additional services, Nestlé HCN will use your information to provide them to you.
From time to time, we are approached by reputable third party companies and organizations that provide products or services that we believe may be of interest to you. To extend these products or services to you, we may use your personal information (e.g., email address) to send out notices on their behalf. We see this as a value-added service helping you find useful products or services. Our goal is to limit the notices and communications to those that we think you would appreciate receiving. Please note that all such mailings come strictly from Nestlé HCN and your personal information is not shared with these other companies.
We may also use your personal and/or demographic information for our internal marketing and demographic studies, so we can constantly improve, personalize, and customize the products and services we provide you and to better meet your needs. This may include occasionally combining, updating, or otherwise enhancing the personal information collected through a Nestlé HCN Website with data we receive from outside records or third parties.
The following provides additional information about certain features on our Websites:
- Sweepstakes, Contests, and Promotions - To enter an online sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion (collectively, "Promotions"), you may be required to first register on a Nestlé HCN Website. The information collected as part of a Promotion is used to determine your eligibility, notify you whether you are a winner, and/or fulfill and deliver prizes. If you are a winner, certain information about you (such as your name and picture) may get posted to the relevant Nestlé HCN Website. For more information about Nestlé HCN Promotions, please see the official rules or details posted with the specific Promotion.
- Surveys and Polls - There are two types of surveys or polls that may be conducted on the Nestlé HCN Websites. One is where purely demographic or survey information (e.g., age, gender, household information, and other interests, etc.) is requested and the information is not linked to any personally identifiable information about you. In other cases (such as during account registration), we may collect this same information and combine it with your personally identifiable information.
- Message boards and other interactive features - We may provide interactive features that allow you to post or publish messages, stories, pictures, or artwork on our Websites. Although we strive to protect those who use and participate in these activities, we encourage you to be wary of giving out personal information or images about yourself in public areas such as on a message board or other online community-type feature. Such information may be viewable to or recorded by outside parties. As such, we cannot guarantee the security and privacy of, and are not responsible for, any information you post in these areas. Your use of these features is at your own risk. Please note that if we choose to post a picture or message that you provide us through one of these features, we may post, along with the picture or message, certain non-personal information about you, such as your username, first name, first initial of your last name, and/or city and state of residence.
- E-cards, tell-a-friend, and other one-time use features - Personal information requested for an e-card, tell-a-friend or other referral feature, or other one-time use features (typically, names and email addresses) is used on a one-time basis (e.g., to send the communication) and is not further retained by Nestlé HCN. If these kinds of features are made available to children under 13, they may be designed so that prior parental consent is not required.
What happens if you refuse to provide your personal information?
If you choose not to submit any personal information when requested, you may not be able to participate in certain activities and personalized features on our Websites and may limit the services and special offers we can provide you. For example, if you refuse to share your email address, you will not be able to receive any of our newsletters or otherwise register on our Websites. If you refuse to provide your credit card number, you will not be able to purchase products at a Nestlé HCN Online Store. However, to simply browse our Websites and learn more about our products, you do not need to give us any personal information.
We may keep track of Internet Protocol (IP) addresses to (among other things): (i) troubleshoot technical concerns, (ii) maintain website safety and security, (iii) restrict access to our Sites to certain users, and, (iv) better understand how our Sites are utilized. An IP address is a number that is used by computers on the network to identify your computer every time you log on to the Internet.
We (or a vendor on our behalf) may collect information in the form of logs - files that record website activity and gather statistics about web users' browsing habits. These entries are generated anonymously, and help us gather (among other things) (i) a user's browser type and operating system, (ii) information about a user's session (such as the URL they came from, the date and time they visited our Site, and which pages they've viewed on our site and for how long), and, (iii) other similar navigational or click-stream data. We also use information captured in log file for our internal marketing and demographic studies, so we can constantly improve and customize the online services we provide you. Log files are used internally only, and are not associated with any particular user.
This Site may also use third party web analytics services. Our service provider may record mouse clicks, mouse movements, scrolling activity as well as text you type in this Site. The Site does not use the service provider to collect any personal information entered into the Site. The service provider does not track your browsing habits across websites that do not use its services. For more information see here: http://www.clicktale.com/privacy_service.aspx. Nestle HCN uses the information collected by our service provider to better understand how you operate and navigate the Site. You can disable this web analytics service here: http://www.clicktale.net/disable.html.
We may use web beacons (or clear GIFs) on our Websites or include them in the email messages we send you. Web beacons (also known as "web bugs") are small strings of code that provide a method of delivering a graphic image on a web page or in an email message for the purpose of transferring data back to us. The information collected via web beacons may include some of the information described in the IP Address section directly above, as well as information about how a user responds to an email campaign from Nestlé HCN (e.g., the time the email is opened, where does the user link to from the email, etc.). We use web beacon information for a variety of purposes, including but not limited to, site traffic reporting, unique visitor counts, advertising and email auditing and reporting, and personalization.
Who is collecting your personal information and is it shared with anyone?
The information that you disclose on the Nestlé HCN Websites is collected by Nestlé HCN or by a vendor acting on its behalf; and is used in accordance with the practices set forth above. The following provides more specific information about how and to whom we may disclose your information.
Agents and Contractors
We may use outside companies, agents, or contractors ("vendors") to provide support for the internal operations of our Websites and to assist us with administering a Nestlé HCN Online Store or the various programs and promotions available on our Sites. In the course of doing so, these vendors may come into contact with your personal information. However, we only give them access to (or allow them to collect on our behalf) the information they need in order to perform the specific tasks they've been hired to do. They have also agreed to protect the confidentiality and security of this information.
Partners and Joint Promotions
From time to time, we may run a joint or co-sponsored program or promotion on our Websites with another company, organization, or other reputable third party; and, as part of this event, collect and process personal information. If your personal information is being collected by (or is shared with) a company other than Nestlé HCN as part of such promotion, we will let you know this at the time your information is collected. Periodically, we may run a promotion on our Site that features the products or services of another company and will give you the opportunity to opt in to receive information directly from that third party company.
Legal and Business Transfers
We may also disclose personally identifiable information if we are required to do so by law, or if in our good faith judgment, such action is reasonably necessary to comply with legal processes, to respond to any claims, or to protect the safety or rights of Nestlé HCN, its customers, or the public.
In the event of a merger or acquisition of all or part of Nestlé HCN or Nestlé by another company, or in the event that Nestlé HCN or Nestlé were to sell or dispose of all or a part of the Nestlé business, the acquirer would have access to the information maintained by that Nestlé business, which could include personal information, subject to applicable law. Similarly, personal information may be transferred as part of a corporate reorganization, insolvency proceeding, or other similar event, if permitted by and done in accordance with applicable law.
What safeguards do we use to protect your personal information?
Nestlé HCN takes commercially reasonable efforts to protect the confidentiality and security of the personal information collected from our Website visitors, including children under 13. These efforts include, but are not necessarily limited to: (i) storing your personal information in secure operating environments that are not available to the public and that are only accessible to authorized Nestlé HCN employees, and our agents and contractors; (ii) using industry-standard SSL encryption to protect the security of certain sensitive personal information (such as credit card information) during transmission to our Websites, and, (iii) verifying the identities of registered Website users before they can access the personal information we maintain about them.
How can you access, modify, or make other choices regarding the use of your information?
The following outlines the choices you have with respect to the collection and use of your personal information by Nestlé HCN.
- You always have the option not to share any of your personal information with Nestlé HCN. However, if you choose this option, you will be limited in the activities and features we can provide you, as mentioned above.
- If you do not want to receive newsletters, announcements, or other communications and/or services from a Nestlé HCN Website or brand, please opt-out from these communications or services at the time of registration or when the information is collected. If you have opted in and, at a later time, wish to opt out, please visit the appropriate "Update Profile" section(s) on our Website (if available) and amend your preferences.
- Along with every email marketing communication sent to you, Nestlé HCN provides you the opportunity to discontinue receiving future marketing communications (i.e., unsubscribe). Simply follow the unsubscribe process or directions provided in the email.
- You can always review or update any personal information that we may have collected about you for our general website registration. To do this, please visit the appropriate "Update Profile" section(s) on our Website (if available).
If any of the mechanisms set forth above is not available or you wish to make a different request, please contact us using the information provided below.
Please note that regardless of your opt-out selections, we reserve the right to continue sending you Administrative Communications if you have previously provided your information in connection with any one of our online features, activities, or services.
How can you ask a question or file a complaint? (Contact Information)
Nestlé HCN Office of Consumer Services
445 State Street
Fremont, MI 49412
Date: April 17, 2012